Tuesday, November 15, 2005

U.S. Troops Throw Iraqi Prisoners To Lions...Literally


Two Iraqi businessmen imprisioned by U.S. forces in Iraq, claim that American soldiers threw them into a cage of lions at a Baghdad palace as part of an interrogation in 2003.
Thahe Mohammed Sabbar said in an interview, " They took me behind the cage, they were screaming at me, scaring me and beating me a lot." " One of the soldiers would open the door, and two soldiers would push me in. The lions came running toward me and they pulled me out and shut the door. I completely lost consciousness."
Sabbar, 37, and Sherzad Kamal Kahlid, 35, are in the U.S. this week to talk about the lawsuit that the American Civil Liberties Union and Human Rights First filed on their behalf against Donald Rumsfeld, & other military officials.
The suit details alleged sexual abuse, mock executions, water & food deprivation, electric shock & other torture used on 8 detainees, including Sabbar & Kahlid.
The 2 men described the July 2003 day when they were arrested by American troops with guns & armored vehicles. They said they were covered with plastic hoods and repeatedly struck by soldiers using the butt of their guns. They described standing in front of a lion cage and said they could hear other prisoners screaming as the metal cage door creaked open and slammed shut.
"They threatened that if I did not confess they would put me in the cage." Adding that the soldiers kept asking him where Saddam was. "I laughed, I thought they were kidding me. They asked me where are the weapons of mass destruction. I was very suprised and I thought it was weird.", said Kahild.
But when he laughed, he said he was beaten more. He was pushed into the cage 3 times, being pulled out as the lions moved towards him.
Saddam Hussein's oldest son, Odai, kept lions at his compound at the presidential palace, which was taken over by U.S. troops during the start of the war.
This makes me sick. It's not only torture and inhumane, but totally draconian in nature. Who the fuck do these troops think they are? Fucking throwing prisoners in with the lions sounds like they've been watching too much Gladiator shit. People say the Iraq War is the next Vietnam War---I say it' s turning out to be worse, and time will tell that truth as more & more poor Iraqi's come forward with more disgusting stories of U.S. troops fucking with them. I am ashamed George Bush, ashamed. There was once a time when we could feel pride in being American...that is no longer the case for me. It's sad, and it's fucking frustrating that the most is not being done about this. On behalf of the "good" people of America that believe all this is disgusting, I apologize to the people of Iraq.