Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Serpentine

The following is an excerpt from Ani DiFranco's song called "Serpentine":

" Yes, the goons have gone global

and the CEO's are shredding files

and the democrins and the republicrats

are flashing their toothy smiles

and uncle tom is posing for a photo op

with the oval office clan

and uncle sam is rigging cockfights

in the promised land

and that knife you stuck in my back is still there

it pinches a little when I sigh and moan

and these days I'm thinkin I could just as soon use

the time alone.

Cuz all the wrong people have the power

of suggestion

and the freedom of the press is meaningless

if nobody asks a question

I mean, causation by definition

is such a complex compilation of factors

that to even try to say why is to oversimplify

but that's a far cry, isn't it dear?

from acting like you're the only one there

unrepentantly self-centered and unfair.

Enter all suckers scrambling for the scoop

exit Mr. Eye Contact

who took his flirt and flew the coop.

And the music industry mafia is pimping girl power

sniping off sharpshooter singles from their styrofoam towers

and hip hop is tied up in the back room

with a logo stuffed in it's mouth

cuz the master's tools will never dismantle the master's house

but then

I'm getting away from myself

as I get closer and closer to home

and the difference between

you and me baby

is I get fucked up when I'm alone.

And I must admit

today my inner pessimist

seems to have got the best of me

we start out sugared up on Kool-Aid and manifest destiny

and we memorize all the president's names

like little trained monkeys

and then we're spit into the world

so many spinny-eyed t.v. junkies

incapable of unravelling the military industrial mystery

preemptively pacified with history book history

and I've been around the world now

and I can see this about America:

the mind control is steep here, man

the myopia is deep here.

And behold

those that try to expose the reality

who really try to realize democracy

are shot with rubber bullets and gassed off the streets

while the global power brokers are kept clean and discreet

behind a wall

and that is all

that's all she wrote.

And my heart beats an S.O.S.

cuz folks just really couldn't care less

as long as everyday is Superbowl sunday

and larger than life women in lingerie

are pouting at us from every bus stop

shelovesme shelovesmenot...

"Big goverment should not stand between a man and his money"

"What's good for business is good for the country"

Our children still take that lie like communion

the same old line the confederacy used on the union

conjugate liberty

into libertarian

associate it

with deregulation

privatization

we won't even know we're slaves

on a corporate plantation

somebody say hallelujah!

somebody say damnation!

cuz the profit system follows the path of least resistance

and the path of least resistance

is what makes the river crooked

makes it serpentine

capitalism is the devil's wet dream

so just give me my Judy Garland drugs

and let me get back to work

cuz the Empire State building

is the tallest building in New York.